Wednesday, February 15, 2012

14 Days of Love Notes...

...and one very special family dinner, is what Valentine's Day is all about to me. So this is how our Valentine's Advent works. Each image on the squares one represents something about our family. Each little square on the heart is a pocket {hence the advent part}. So I hve a clothespin that has a bit of velcrow on it and six circles with each family members name on it. Everyday a new person's name is put on the clothespin. That clothes pin is then attached to that days square. This means that everyone else is to write a simple note to that one person, telling him or her why we love them. Simple. The fun things is that come Valentine's Day we all sit down and have a special family dinner. While we are eating each person has a turn reading all thier love notes outloud. We read the love notes that are written to us, not the ones we wrote. The Ewoks get so excited when they hear why we love them. Here are a few of my favorites from this year.

So let me share my pockets with you. I have come to love each one, but a few have special stories I would like to share. We'll start with the simple ones.


Like Day 5:
This little house represents the home that Han Solo and I started when we were sealed {married} for time and eternity in 2001.

Day 7:

This like-wise is our family tree. Han Solo and I are represented by the vintage button and our Ewoks the heart buttons. I need to add a new heart button to this one.

Day 1-3 and Day 10:

Now this is a funny story. See I love the image of our home being a nest. This was the reason I started following Abby's blog, A Feathered Nest, way back when. And sence this is where the idea for this advent came from I felt it would be fun to run with the bird thing. So the large blue bird is Han Solo, the large blue bird with the pink wing is me, and the aorable 3 little pink birds in the nest are our Ewoks. So the funny part is, we were convinced at this point in our lives that our family was done growing. So convinced that we had sold everything baby related and our world started moving on, as did the construction of the advent. But I was one square short and had no clue what to do with it. This was also the time that Disney's, The Princess and A Frog, was a favorite in our home. One of those we will die if we don't watch it at least 3 times a week kinda things. So, while working on other squares and watching it for the hundreth time with the Ewoks I thought, there is you last square. So...Day 10 is our Frog Prince. Not so funny...true...but 1 year and 4 months ago when I was laying down on the ultrasound table and I said to the tech "why does my kid have 3 l...e...g...IT"S A BOY!" it became pretty funny to me. Our lone son is now forever dubed the frog prince who came from a family of birds! Well if I was perfect I would be twinkled by now anyway, so at least it confirms that I am as imperfect as the rest of us.
The rest of the squares are mainly lovey-dovely Valentines stuff and of course I had to throw in the monogram "C" somewhere.


I hope you enjoy it. My next one will be for Halloween or Thanksgiving, both inspired by Pottery Barn. Hopefully they will be done before the little birds fly the coup and our frog prince meets his princess.

hugs & kisses...or maybe it's the other way around...oh, well...

2 comments: