Friday, February 12, 2010

Mommy & Me Shopping Trip

So one of my new rules for 201o is:

Before shopping for clothing you must (1) make hair pretty (2) make face pretty (3) put on your favorite jeans and everyday shoe (4) put on a favorite shirt that you feel smok'in in.

Normally when shopping for clothes I start out in an okay mood and then the more I see myself naked in those wondrous mirrors the worse my mood becomes. I leave the store with nothing because everything makes me look fat and sloppy and my hair that looked okay pulled back when I got there now looks like a birds nest, and my eyes are red because I am on the brink of tears... Sound familiar? I HATE SHOPPING. I hate spending the money on myself because I can come up with 20 other things to do with it for my family, I hate finding a shirt I love and then reading the price tag, I hate my ankles, I hate, I hate, I hate. The rest of the day is shot because my mood is so poor and Han Solo is disappointed to see me wear the same shirt (normally a Blazer or AM favorite) for the third day in a row (YES, I wash them in between that's why they are barley a year old and they have holes in them already). Shopping can really ruin my day and my attitude about myself.

Well, today my mother took me out shopping for clothes as a birthday gift. I followed my new rule and I felt great walking out the door. I even got so into it that I put on earrings. Now this is big. I normally do not don such lavish things as earrings and necklaces unless it is a Sunday and we are headed to church or Han Solo and I are actually going out on a date. I felt great! So this is what I wore. My favorite jeans (dark and crisp), a long sleeved gray Shade shirt (love them!), a light grey cropped short sleeve sweater, and my NEW Uggs Han & the Ewoks got me for my birthday (Han Solo sacrificed a few lunches for these bad boys, I LOVE HIM!). I took 10 minutes and put makeup on and actually refreshed my lip gloss three times, cause (DON'T tell Han but) I noticed a few glances in my direction - now this could easily be due to the fact that my youngest Chewbacca was very vocal but I'll stick to my SMOK'IN theory for self gratification reasons).

I found five great tops that I felt beautiful in and I walked out of the store and mall feeling great. I will wear one tomorrow and one on Sunday. Today I fell in love with myself again...if at least for only a day. Thanks Mom, for a great birthday gift. Thanks Han baby and my little Ewoks for a new pair of Uggs, and thanks to everyone else that made my thirtieth birthday one to remember.

2 comments:

  1. You are I were on the same wavelength this week! I was so energized by our good news about Lorien (see my blog) that I decided to go shopping for myself. I was determined to accept my image for what it is and make the most of it. Now with significantly less stress in my life, the weight loss might actually happen. But it's not the most important thing. I love you for doing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you did look great and I ended up looking like the proverbial grandma! I had a great time watching the kids play while you got to take a needed personal moment and look for clothes untethered. You made wise choices and looked even better after shopping because of your smile.

    So I took home your bit of advice and have gotten flack for it(though at least it was noticed!). I am now wearing tinted lip gloss when I go to work. If it can make you feel better shopping then it should make me feel better working!

    ReplyDelete