Friday, January 29, 2010

Faith and Healing

THIS is not exactly what this blog is for but I feel like I need to get something off my chest so that I am at peace with the situation. "Faith Healing" A husband and his wife are on trial for negligent homicide because their 16 year old son died of an illness in 2008. When this happened maybe a year ago, I don't really remember, but it was a little 5 year old girl I remember thinking 'I'm kinda glad the mom and dad are being questioned about their decisions.' I have thought about it a lot.

We almost lost one of our little Ewoks when she was 18 months old. She looked like she had the flu and it was a Friday. I remember thinking that (1) I could take her in now to the ER and pay way more than the $30 co-pay to hear 'Congratulations she has the flu, take her home and let her rest' OR (2) I could wait till Monday and if she was still sick then I could take her into our doctor and we'll go from there. Things got a bit worse on Saturday and then that night we noticed that she was vomiting when her fever spiked at 103, but then it would fall back down to a resting point of 99. This was different than anything I considered normal and a few things triggered in my mind. I PRAYED, my husband and another man gave her a Spiritual Blessing, and we 'held out' the Sunday with plans to go right in on Monday if things got worse. I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE "FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST" CHURCH IN OREGON CITY, I AM A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS. On Monday morning it was bad. We called and went right into our doctor, where they were able to culture Ecoli from my baby's blood, urine, and I am sure they could have gotten it off her clothes from the results they received. She was very sick and they said had we waited even a few more hours we might have lost her. WOW. I have not lost a child but I have felt the torment in more than one instance.

I also understand and beleive in FAITH. I do not agree that with the idea that if someone is sick it is God's will and we should NOT ACT but just wait and see if that person dies because it is how it is supposed to be. I believe that FAITH requires not only fervent prayer but also requires us to listen to the response and then ACT accordingly. I have prayed and received promptings of the Spirit sometimes suttle sometimes it felt like a kick in the gut. My point is that while I do not agree with the practice of 'Faith Healing' I believe in FREEDOM OF RELIGION. This boy was 16 years old and told his parents that he wanted to be healed, if it was Gods will, through this method of 'Faith Healing'. THAT IS HIS RELIGIOUS CHOICE. Is this not one of the very foundations of our great country?

Another bit of food for thought, what about the childhood obesity rate? These children get diabetes and other illnesses, they walk down a road leading to heart attacks and other such things, yet the parents are not guilty here. I HATE DOUBLE STANDARDS! I REALLY DO! If we think that a boy with a congenital disease dies because he and his family chose an alternate form of health / healing and we can charge his said parent with "negligent homicide" why don't we put parents up on trial with children of obese weight when they die as an adult. I bet they as a family chose to eat more than their bodies needed and I doubt that those actions were religiously based. My point is although I do not agree with how this family choose to deal with their sons illness, I do believe that this country is going to far into our homes. Religion is a right our forefathers gave to us with their blood, how much longer will this founding principle be a part of our land? I just don't know anymore.

As a side note: I was out of cream cheese and opted for a few handfulls of trail mix with my coke! Brilliant dinner eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment